The American Hiking Society (AHS) sponsors National Trails Day every year, the first Saturday of June. In 2022, that day is June 4th.
The AHS encouraged all hikers and other participants to Join the Pledge to improve a trail by:
- Packing out trash…
- Joining a trail work project, or…
- Cleaning up a park
In other words: Leave the trail better than you found it!
Where to go in the Twin Cities
Here are suggestions of parks in TCO land that have the best non-paved trails systems:
- Bunker Hills Regional Park in Anoka County
- Carver Park Reserve in Carver County
- Lebanon Hills Regional Park in Dakota County
- Whitetail Woods Regional Park in Dakota County
- Elm Creek Park Reserve in Hennepin County
- Hyland Park Reserve in Hennepin County
- Lake Rebecca Park Reserve in Hennepin County
- Fort Snelling State Park in Ramsey County
- Murphy-Hanrehan Park Reserve in Scott County
- Afton State Park in Washington County
- Lake Elmo Park Reserve in Washington County
- William O’Brien State Park in Washington County
If you have young children, maybe you’ll want a paved trail for strollers, though. In that case, almost every park listed on Twin Cities Outdoors will work for you!
Make a day of it
Plan it as a family outing, grab a group of hiking friends (and non-hiking friends that need to be introduced to hiking), or join one of the planned hikes others are planning (click here to find a National Trails Day event close to you).
Pack a cooler in your car and have a picnic lunch at the park when you’re done hiking. Or if it’s hot that day, hit a beach afterwards.
You should also know that the AHS doesn’t limit National Trails Day to hikers! Bikers, paddlers, horseback riders…are welcome. The more people caring for our trails, the better! Focus on having fun, and pick up trash while you do.
Share Your Trail Adventure
American Hiking Society wants you to share your National Trails Day adventure (photos and stories) with:
- @AmericanHiking on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
AHS even sells tees and hoodies in honor of National Trails Day (of course they do!). See your choices here (it says 2019, but the merch isn’t dated, so it’s good for 2022, too!).
Need trail ideas? Check out our Twin Cities Guide series!
You’ll like these, too…
- A Healthy Environment & Our Modern Lifestyle: Are They Mutually Exclusive?
- Hiking in Lebanon Hills Regional Park
- Biking Brown’s Creek State Trail
- Paddle Bridge: Mississippi River Kayak & History Tours - March 14, 2023
- Safely Solo: A First Overnight Backpacking Trip - March 8, 2023
- Traction Devices Keep You Safe(r) on the Ice - February 15, 2023