Apple Valley/Dakota County • No fee to enter the park
Lebanon Hills Campground is surrounded by almost 2,000 acres of forest, lakes and wetlands in Dakota County. It’s hard to believe a Regional Park this large is so close to the metro area.
Lebanon Hills offers 93 spacious campsites in both shaded and more open areas. Some offer electric and water hookups. It’s one of the few public campgrounds that offers showers and wifi at select sites.
The entrance to Lebanon Hills is off Johnny Cake Ridge Road in Apple Valley, just across from the Minnesota Zoo.
The camping season runs from early May through mid-October. The water to the restrooms, showers and hookups is turned off in early October when the temps get cold enough to frost.
What is there to do at Lebanon Hills Regional Park?
Whether you’re just passing through and want a place to stay the night or are planning a multi-day trip there’s plenty to do here:
- There are almost 20 miles of wooded hiking trails, most of them on natural surfaces for foot traffic only. There’s one trail around Wheaton Pond that can be accessed from the campground road.
- The others are in other sections of the Park that you’ll probably want to drive to.
- Mountain bike trails are just across the road and north a bit. 11 miles of trails wind through a hilly, wooded area. There’s a hiking trail that criss-crosses them, too, so be aware of hikers!
- Bring your canoe or kayak and launch into one of the lakes in the East sector of the Park. Or rent a boat there at the Visitor’s Center if you don’t have your own. There’s a multi-lake canoe route there complete with portages.
- The Minnesota Zoo is just across the road. Enjoy a day at the Zoo while you’re in the neighborhood.
Relax! Enjoy your campfire, roast up some marshmellows, enjoy the company of your family or camping mates.
What else to know
Site fees range from $20-37, depending on your accommodations and hook-up desires. A dump station is available for an additional fee. Online reservations are accepted for an additional fee.
Reservations are highly recommended during the busy summer season—especially over weekends and holidays!